After a fire broke out in a section of your home, you may feel that all any danger was taken care of once it was put out. However, although the immediate danger is over, there are still three potential hazards that may still be lurking in the house that pose serious risks to you and your household members.
1. Smoke Contamination in the Walls and Ceiling
Even if they were not located in the section of your house that caught fire, the walls and ceilings can become contaminated with smoke. Not only does the smoke penetration cause a lingering odor, but it could also cause an increase in respiratory symptoms, especially in household members who already suffer from allergies, asthma, or other chronic disorders.
When the smoke penetrates the walls and ceiling, it continues to release toxic particulates in the air that can irritate sinuses, throat, and lungs. And while you may not realize they have been contaminated right after the fire, you may start seeing the walls and ceilings turn yellow as the smoke particles make their way to the surface.
2. Compromised Electrical Wires
If the fire did not burn into the walls, you may think that your home's electrical system may not have been affected. However, there is still a potential that the integrity of the wires was compromised.
Even if the wires were not directly exposed to the flames, the intense heat from the fire could have melted the coatings around them. This type of damage could have left bare wires within your walls, or it may have fused the wires together. Either of these situations could cause the current to arc, creating the possibility of an electrical fire in your house.
3. Soot in the HVAC System
As the fire burned and produced smoke, soot from the flames are thrown into the air. Since there is a good chance that your central air conditioner or heater was on during the fire, the system was most likely contaminated by soot.
Because the soot can line the ducts and infiltrate your units, it will be circulated through the air in your home every time you turn on your HVAC system. This soot can irritate the lungs, eyes, and skin, especially after long-term exposure.
Even after the fire has been put out, its after-effects can still pose a danger to you and your family. Contact a fire damage repair service so they can evaluate the residual damage and take the necessary steps to help make your home safe once again.